News Flash

Roanoke News

Posted on: May 13, 2019

Friendly Reminder to All Event Organizers and Residents

Special Events Policy Details

Public Assembly Permits are required for Special Events that utilize public spaces, such as streets, greenways, public parks, and plazas. Events contained to private property do not require a Public Assembly Permit. The use of City greenways, parks, and plazas requires coordination with the Parks and Recreation Department. Use of a public right-of-way (e.g. street, sidewalk) requires coordination with Public Works.

Races, Walks, and Parades: Organized non-stationary activities involving running, biking, walking, marching, or other means of transportation, utilizing a fixed course that involves the use or obstruction of City street rights-of-way, City sidewalks, City parks or greenways.

General Events: Organized activities that have a stationary footprint in an identifiable location for a specific duration of time, often involving amplified sound, food, beverage, merchandise displays, and/or other forms of entertainment. Examples include festivals, performances, rallies, markets, parties, weddings, conventions, and other similar events.

Neighborhood Block Parties: Organized small-scale activities that close a limited number of blocks on a low traffic volume, residential street. These small-scale gatherings are initiated by and are intended to attract only local residents who live on or in close proximity to the street being closed. They are not intended for the general public.

Filming: An organized activity involving film and/or still photography production that requires the use of a public right-of-way, City park, or other outdoor City property.

Not sure what type of event you are hosting? 

Contact us at 540-853-5482 before proceeding any further! It is the event organizer’s responsibility to identify the event type and associated deadline, and we can help you with this in advance.

Application Deadlines 


An application is not considered a complete application until the signed application form and all required supporting documents (e.g. site map, Emergency Action Plan, Certificate of Insurance) have been received by the City.

* Applications for all General Events in Elmwood Park to utilize the amphitheater must be received at least 90 calendar days prior to the proposed date of the event.

** Apply at least 30 calendar days prior to the event date if the block party might utilize tents, amusement structures, fireworks, etc. as these devices involve special permitting.

If you have questions, please call 540-853-5482. 


Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Roanoke News

Leaf Collection Begins Soon

Posted on: November 1, 2019

City Statement on Halloween

Posted on: October 30, 2019

Valley Metro Announces VMGO

Posted on: September 16, 2019

Roanoke to Kick Off Welcoming Week

Posted on: September 11, 2019

Census 2020 Address Canvassing Begins

Posted on: August 8, 2019

Notice of Community Meeting

Posted on: April 9, 2019

City to Host Public Works Jobs Fair

Posted on: March 11, 2019

Valley Metro Operating on Snow Routes

Posted on: February 20, 2019