Roanoke Arts Commission
Find a list of current Commission Members here.
The Roanoke Arts Commission (RAC) was established by Ordinance No. 26537 in 1983 to “advise and assist City Council on matters relating to the advancement of the arts and humanities within the city." Each member is elected by Council to a three-year term. Terms can be renewed twice if reappointed by Council. Members are limited to three consecutive terms as set out in Section 2-281.1 of the City Code.
Power & Duties
- May make recommendations to and assist City Council and the City Manager in determining funds to be provided in the city’s budget for the work of the RAC and for promotion of the arts and humanities
- May advise City Council and the City Manager regarding the appropriateness, quality, condition and value of all proposed gifts and or bequests to the city of an artistic nature
- May advise City Council and the City Manager regarding the purchase by the city of items of an artistic nature and regarding the participation in or sponsoring by the city of artistic performances, programs or other cultural endeavors
- May advise City Council and the City Manager on the preservation and care of all historic landmarks owned by the city and on the design and location of city-owned or other statuary and works of art
- May survey the cultural resources available to the citizens of the city, identify related needs and recommend programs and activities designed to meet these needs
- May seek donations, offers of service and grants to further its and the city’s projects and activities