We focus our actions and activities upon improving the appearance, ride-ability, and safety of the City's streets and rights-of-way thereby enhancing the City’s image, mobility, and property values which are all important factors in attracting and retaining citizens.
We endeavor to implement Roanoke's comprehensive plan by providing a safe and attractive environment for all right-of-way users. We believe that well-maintained streets having appropriate pedestrian and bicycle accommodations, smooth surfaces, good drainage, as well as appropriate traffic signs and markings play a vital part in improving the City’s economic base.
The Primary functions of the Division include:
- Maintenance of the transportation infrastructure
- Oversight and maintenance of roadway lighting
- Traffic Safety and Congestion Program
- Transportation planning and project coordination
- Landscape maintenance in the transportation corridor
- Issuance of Assembly Permits and Operational Support
- Holiday and special event decorations
- Citizen Requests for Service
Pedestrian Safety Campaign
Together we can make our streets a safer place
The Public Works Capital Improvement Projects Map shows the current and future City projects including Transportation Paving projects, Stormwater Capital Improvement Projects Engineering developments, and Western Virginia Water Authority City wide projects. Follow the link below to access the map.