Roanoke Star City Strong
The COVID-19 virus still remains in our community so we are asking you to remain vigilant in keeping yourself and your neighbors healthy.
Now it's time to focus on our recovery and resiliency. This page will walk you through everything you need to know about how our city will begin our "new normal" journey as the City Council has approved the Star City Strong Recovery & Resiliency Advisory Panel recommendations regarding the funds received by the Federal CARES Act.
These recommendations led to the City's investment of more than $16 million in:
- Community Health
- Local Economy
- Safety Net
- Youth & Education
- Essential Services & Public Safety
For any questions, please contact Angie O'Brien in the City Manager's Office at
540. 853-2333 or email@example.com.
Ensure no one in our community lacks the essentials of shelter, food, and personal safety. Provide opportunities for residents of all ages, ability levels and backgrounds to engage fully in civic, economic and social life.
-COVID-19 Mitigation and Vaccination
-Gun Violence Intervention
-Accessible and Affordable Technology
-Inclusive Economic Development
-Substance Use Disorder, Prevention, Treatment and Recovery
-Disparities – Health Outcomes, Economic Opportunity, Education Attainment, etc.
Recovery Investments: no more than $2.5 million | Resiliency Investments: no less than $10 million
Support stabilization and continued vitality of neighborhoods, nurturing “complete neighborhoods” and “neighborhood centers” along with Downtown and the City’s Business Districts and the small businesses located within.
-Affordable and safe housing
-Parks, OpenSpace and Recreation
-Regional Outdoor Amenities
-Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Recovery Investments: no more than $1.5 million | Resiliency Investments: no less than $1.5 million
Support the continuity of government operations and the safety of municipal workers and the general public. Help equip the next generation of leaders and enhance the capacity of those already serving in such roles. Enhance awareness of and access to COVID-recovery assistance to individuals, households, businesses and organizations and neighborhoods.
-Lost Tax/Fee Revenue
-Facility Upgrades and PPE
-Leadership Development/Capacity Building
-Rebuild and Strengthen Trust
Recovery and Resiliency Investments: $7 million
Respect & Dignity
- State of Emergency
- Closure of Municipal Facilities
- Public Health Actions
- Financial/Technical Assistance
- Municipal Expenditure Controls
- Emergency-Related Policies
- CARES Act/ Star City Strong Recovery Fund
- Reopening of Municipal Building
- Star City Strong Recovery Fund
- Vaccination Support
- American Rescue Act / Star City Strong Phase II
- Regain Strategic Focus
- American Rescue Act / Star City Strong Phase II & Phase III
- Virginia Department of Health
- Roanoke City Health District
- Forward Virginia Guidelines
- Governor Ralph S. Northam Administration Website
- Roanoke Star City Strong Framework
- Roanoke Star City Strong Presentation
- Roanoke Star City Strong Framework in Spanish
- Carilion Clinic
- Roanoke City Public Schools
- Downtown Roanoke Incorporated
- Small Business Development Center
- Virginia Career Works