Effective Tuesday, March 24, 2020 at 11:59 pm until Friday, May 8, 2020 at 11:59 PM, Executive Order 53 from Virginia Governor Ralph Northam is in effect.
211-Call 2-1-1. That is an information and referral line that is operated for the State Department of Social Services – it has all the resources for every part of the state, including the Roanoke Valley. There are a lot of different agencies to help, depending on the situation of the person, and the 2-1-1 operators are trained to collect the information and make referrals based on that information. https://www.211virginia.org
HAT Team Central Intake: Central Intake coordinates financial assistance in the community for individuals at risk of homeless. The program operates out of the HAT building on Salem Avenue. These services are being coordinated over the phone during the COVID crisis. Individuals can reach the program by calling (540) 853-1163.
Community Housing Resource Center (540) 266-7551: prevents individuals and families from becoming homeless and rapidly rehouse those who are already homeless.
RAM-Roanoke Area Ministries (RAM) also provides rental assistance. https://raminc.org/ Financial Assistance Officer Hours: 9am-11:30am & 1:30pm-3pm Monday-Thursday For more information call (540) 981-1732.
Legal Aid Society of Roanoke Valley 540-344-2080: The Legal Aid Society of Roanoke Valley provides a full range of civil legal
services to low income area residents, including issues involving housing, family, employment, consumers, and domestic violence.
Governors Order Regarding Evictions
Our world is changing everyday and now more than ever our community is coming together to see how they can help their fellow neighbor. That is why the City of Roanoke is strong - we go through adversity TOGETHER and are always trying to lend a helping hand. We are working with local stakeholders and community groups to give you a listing of ways you can help......make sure to check out these links.
Right now some easy things that you can do to help are:
- Give Blood to the American Red Cross.
- Deliver nonperishable food to the Local Office on Aging(LOA), RAM House or other smaller food pantries/outreach programs. The LOA is accepting food donations Monday-Friday, 8am-3:30pm at 4932 Frontage Rd., NW Roanoke, VA.
- Donate pet food to your local animal shelter.
- Stay home and write a note or card to your local fire department, police department, hospital, retirement/nursing home or other community organization. (*note: fire stations and police stations are not accepting outside visitors during the coronavirus pandemic)
- Buy gift cards to local restaurants or stores.
- Check on elderly neighbors by calling them or offering to deliver items to their doorstep.
- STAY HEALTHY!
Take care of yourself, take care of each other and remember - we are stronger together and will get through this!
If you are an organization that needs volunteers or donations, please send the following information to Alison Jorgensen with Council of Community Services at: email@example.com:
· Title of Opportunity/Need
· How many people do you need?
· What hours is the opportunity available?
· Contact name, phone, and email
· Zip Code of opportunity
· Minimum age accepted
· Is the opportunity:
o Family friendly?
*Organizations: Please be advised that the system may send you emails to alert you a volunteer is interested in serving. Their contact information will be in that email. Additionally, each volunteer to uses the system to indicate availability will receive an email message that states not all volunteers will be contacted, but thanking them for their interest.
· Donation needs/items
· Zip Code of opportunity
· Contact name, email, and phone
- Roanoke City Department of Social Services will be closed to the general public beginning March 18. Employees will continue to report as normal. Child Protective Services and Adult Protective Service referrals can be made by calling 853-2245. Public Assistance forms and requests for follow up telephone contact can be left in the department drop box located just off the elevator on the 3rd floor at 1510 Williamson Road NE. You may apply for benefits online at https://commonhelp.virginia.gov/, by phone at 1-855-635-4370, or for Medical Assistance only at 1-855-242-8282 (TDD: 1-888-221-1590). For replacement EBT card, you may call 1-866-281-2448. Citizens may reach staff by contacting their worker via e-mail or by phone
- Looking for ideas to do with your family during social isolation? Check out Play Roanoke's Happiness Project by clicking here.