- Feature Links
- Dockless Scooters
Update October 18, 2019
Lime Scooters hosted two informational sessions in the City of Roanoke on Friday, October 18, 2019 before the launch. Riders were able to demo the scooters and learn how to safely operate them.
Here are some safety tips to remember while operating the scooters:
- You must be 18 years of age to operate a scooter.
- Scooters cannot be ridden on sidewalks or the greenway.
- Follow all safety rules posted on the scooter.
- One rider per scooter.
- WEAR A HELMET while using the scooter.
- While operating a scooter make sure to look out for pedestrians, cyclists, motorists and road obstructions (ie: potholes).
- Scooters should be parked curbside and before using the scooter check it for visible damage.
- The brakes can be found by the handlebars.
For more information and frequently asked questions about Lime Scooters, click here.
The City of Roanoke created a dockless mobility permitting program in June 2019. Before beginning operations, private electric scooter and bike providers are required to obtain a permit and adhere to program rules.
Generally, electric powered scooters and bikes should adhere to the same rule of the road as conventional bicycles. Roanoke has elected to not permit operation of scooters on sidewalks, on greenways, or in parks. Some areas will be "geofenced." That is, the vehicle will be automatically disabled or slowed when entering a geofenced area such as a park.
Operators should communicate with users through the smartphone app about proper parking. Generally, scooters should be parked at the edge of sidewalk areas where they won't impede pedestrian traffic on sidewalks. Report improper parking or other problems directly to the operator. Each scooter is required to have a contact information label.
Comments, complaints, and compliments should be made to the operators.
Email us at Scoot@roanokeva.gov If you'd like to leave general comments about the program.