Planning staff identifies potential improvements to the zoning ordinance throughout the year and assembles a package of amendments. The latest package is targeted for adoption in January 2019 on the following schedule:
- Planning Commission public hearing and recommendation January 14 at 1:30pm
- City Council public hearing and adoption January 22, 2019 at 7pm
Below is a summary table. You can see the full version of the amendments here: Full text zoning amendments
Questions or comments? Contact Chris Chittum, Director.
Index to Zoning Amendment #16 Updated December 14, 2018
Table 205-1. Permitted Yard Encroachments.
Handicap ramps associated with a residential use
Remove "7 feet, as measured from the front of the building or the front line of an existing porch, if one is present."
Table 205-2 Application of Maximum Front Yard Requirements
Update the contents of Table 205-2 for 50% percent of the facade to be within the maximum front yard. 2018 changes to the introductory paragraph were not carried into the table.
|311 Use table for residential districts||Replace "Dwelling, multifamily" with two classes of dwelling multifamily based on the number of units. 10 or fewer units would be permitted by right in the RM-2 district. A special exception would be required for 11 or more dwelling units in the RM-2 district. Any number of units would be permitted by right in the RMF district.|
312 Dimensional regulations for residential districts.
Reduce rear yard minimum depth from 30 to 15 feet in the R-12 district.
315 use table for multiple purpose districts
(1) Replace "Dwelling, multifamily" with two classes of dwelling multifamily based on the number of units. Multifamily with 10 or fewer units would be permitted by right in the MX, CN, CG, CLS, D, and UF districts.
Multifamily with 10 or more units would be permitted by right in the CG, CLS, D, and UF districts. Multifamily with 10 or more units would be by special exception in the MX and CN districts.
(2) Add townhouses as a permitted use in the CG and CLS districts.
(3) Add Kennels with no outside runs as a permitted use in Downtown district and Kennels with outside runs as a special exception use in Downtown district.
(4) Add Animal shelter as a special exception use in CG, CLS, D, and UF
316 Dimensional regulations for multiple purpose districts
Adds an asterisk to the facade transparency figure or the CG district. The asterisk refers to a table note that requires a lesser percentage of transparency for certain residential uses.
322 Use table for industrial districts.
Add these uses by special exception: Single family dwelling, Two-family dwelling, Townhouse or rowhouse, Multifamily dwelling, Live-work unit, and Mixed-use building.
Add Pet grooming as a permitted use in I-1 district.
328 Dimensional regulations for planned unit development districts.
Remove density minimum from PUD districts. Density would be established by adoption of the PUD development plan.
Remove 530 (c)(4) Related to allowing an amended application within one year.
Not needed. If an application is amended, then it is no longer substantially the same application.
642 General landscaping and screening standards to
(1) The City’s Urban Forester has recommended changes to the list.
(2) Create a reference to a tree list and specs approved and published by the zoning administrator rather than include the list in the code.
Remove “nonresidential” from parking reduction so section applies to all uses, including residential.
Table 652-2. Required Parking Spaces
Correct figures for various residential types
Table 654-1. Parking and Loading Area Standards. Location Standards. Driveway/parking area location relative to principal structures.
Change "Parking area prohibited between right-of-way and principal buildings" to "Parking area prohibited between right-of-way and principal building line"
816 Reports to City Council and 826 Reports to City Council
Make the report based on the fiscal year rather than the calendar year.
841 Generally; establishment. (Zoning Administrator)
Add language to authorize appointment of a deputy zoning administrator.