Neighborhood Arts Award
The Neighborhood Arts Award recognizes a neighborhood project or activity which improves the quality of the arts in the neighborhood, enhances the character of the neighborhood through the arts or improves the surroundings through the visual or performing arts. The Roanoke Arts Commission is also interested in projects that use a creative approach to a community issue or topic. The neighborhood group can nominate their own project or an individual that has improved the neighborhood through the arts. It may be a project or activity which involved visual or performing arts. Your description of the project should focus on details of the planning, completion and membership involvement.
- Eligibility Requirements
- How To Nominate
- Nominee Support Documentation
- Submission Deadline
- Judging Criteria
Any resident-led, resident-controlled city neighborhood organization recognized by the RNA and Office of Neighborhood Services is eligible to apply or be nominated for these awards. This includes neighborhood associations, homeowner associations, neighborhood watch groups and tenant associations. Neighborhood groups may nominate themselves, another neighborhood and/or individuals for their efforts to improve the quality of living in Roanoke.
To be considered:
•The project or activity must have been carried out during the current fiscal year (June 30, 2017 – July 1, 2018) or calendar year.
•A Nomination Form must be completed and submitted by the Friday, October 19, 2018 deadline.
•A separate Nomination Form must be submitted for each activity or individual being nominated.
•There is no limit to the number of nominations that can be submitted by any one individual or group. The eligibility requirements
- Complete and submit an easy Online Neighborhood Award Nomination Form accompanied by description detailing how this business, nonprofit, school and/or other institution’s contributed to the improvement of your community. (For Example, volunteers from business / nonprofit / school / other institution assisted in neighborhood clean-ups; donated $500 to the neighborhood group for projects, etc.).
- A fillable PDF Neighborhood Award Nomination Form can also be downloaded, completed, and mailed with a postmark by the Friday, October 19, 2018 deadline to the Office of Neighborhood Services, Attn: RNA Neighborhood Awards Committee, 215 Church Ave SW, Room 312 North, Roanoke, VA 24011.
Include documentation such as pamphlets, website links, articles, samples, presentations, photographs, news clippings, letters of support, etc. supporting the impact and accomplishments achieved by the nominee.
There is no limit to the number of nominations you can submit.
1. Describe the project or activity.
2. What resources were needed to carry out the project?
3. What were the results? What was accomplished?
4. How did the arts activity impact the neighborhood?
5. What was the time frame (dates, ongoing, one-time event, quarterly?)
6. Who benefited? (number of individuals or families, age group, etc.)
Friday, October 19, 2018email
- Neighborhood Impact - impact on neighborhood and/or community: 50 points
- Volunteer contribution - volunteer hours, number of people involved and amount of in-kind and/or financial support provided by the neighborhood: 25 points
- Creativity - creative approach in addressing community topic or issue: 25 points