A retaining wall is designed to retain or restrain lateral forces of soil, with the retained soil being similar in height to the height of the wall, and where the retaining wall is no higher than necessary to retain such soil and where such a wall is not used to support, provide a foundation for, or provide a wall for a building or other structure. Please note variations in process depending on amount of unbalanced fill being retained.
- Completed Zoning and Basic Development Plan Application.
- Basic Development Plan (1 copy) delineating the following:
- Dimensions and shape of the lot
- Adjoining streets
- Location of the proposed retaining wall
- Height and length of the proposed retaining wall
- Section or profile showing the relationship of the unbalanced fill to the retaining wall
- Erosion & Sediment Control Plan, if disturbed area associated with the retaining wall is 2,000 square feet or more.
Once your permit application has been deemed complete and initialized in our system (you will receive a Permit Submission Confirmation Letter), City staff has 10 business days for zoning review. You may receive comments from City staff if additional information is needed to complete a thorough review. An Additional Submissions Form must accompany any resubmission of plans or information.
Retaining walls are reviewed for compliance Chapter 36.2, Zoning Code, City of Roanoke. Visit the City of Roanoke's Real Estate GIS page to determine your property's zoning designation.
Fees are due at time of permit issuance. The fee for a zoning permit is $25.00
If work described in the zoning permit has not begun within 6 months from the date of issuance, the permit will expire. An extension may be granted by the Zoning Administrator at their discretion at the written request of the applicant within 90 calendar days of the expiration of the original zoning permit.