Fences & Walls
The processes outlined in this section apply to the construction of a fence, decorative, or privacy wall in either a residential or non-residential circumstance. Please note different processes depending on height and use of fence/wall.
Click here for Real Estate GIS.
- Completed Residential Building & Zoning Permit application or Commercial Building & Zoning Permit application
- Basic Development Plan (1 copy), delineating the following:
- Dimensions and shape of the lot.
- Adjoining streets.
- Location of the principal building on the lot.
- Location of the proposed fence or wall.
- Height of the proposed fence or wall.
- Fence type (solid, open wire, lattice, picket, etc.). If fence is lattice or picket, a fence detail must be provided which clearly delineates the open area of the fence.
- Building plans and supporting documents (1 copy)
- Certificate of Appropriateness, if located in a H-1 or H-2 local historic district.
Once your permit application has been deemed complete and initialized in our system (you will receive a Permit Submittal Confirmation Letter), City staff has ten (10) business days for zoning review and either five (5) business days for fences associated with a single- or two-family dwelling or ten (10) business days for all other building types. You may receive comments from City staff if additional information is needed to complete a thorough review. An Additional Submissions Form must accompany any resubmission of plans or information.
Fences and walls are reviewed for compliance with the following code:
- Sec. 36.2-410. Fences, walls, arbors, and trellises. Zoning Code, City of Roanoke
- 2015 Uniform Statewide Building Code
Fees are due at time of permit issuance. The fees for a building and zoning permit are as follows:
Building Permit Fee based on the value of the work + a $25 fee for the zoning permit.