All of Planning Building and Development's development and construction resources and services, including permitting and plan review, are available online. We prioritize online services and encourage our customer interactions to occur remotely. These transactions can be completed on your time frame from your home or office. Our staff resources will be focused on timely response to these remote transaction.
The Permit Center is closed to walk-in customers.
Language or technology accommodations: If an inquiry cannot be completed remotely, we will schedule an appointment to address your need.
Starting Your Transaction or Inquiry
Please review our Project Pages, which outline the basic permitting and plan submission requirements for a wide range of residential and commercial construction projects. If you do not need additional assistance, you can apply for your permit below.
If you have questions or need additional clarification, please contact:
Permit Center - Questions on specific permit applications, reviews, payments, and permit issuance by email (preferred) or by phone at 540-853-1090.
Project Assistance Line - General inquiries about development projects, zoning, subdivisions, etc.by email (preferred) or by phone at 540-853-5550.
If any inquiry has complex code issues or requires staff consultation, we will establish a time frame for follow up (initial contact within 1 business day) and have the appropriate staff follow up on the inquiry.
If you're not sure who to contact, complete our inquiry form and we will have the appropriate staff person follow up with you.
eTRAKiT Portal - Tracking Your Permit(s)
Our web-based permitting system, eTRAKiT, provides an easy to use portal to manage your permit(s), which allows for tracking reviews, direct submission of additional information, fee payment, permit document download and scheduling inspections.
Electronic submission is the quickest and preferred way to submit your application:
- Directly from this page, if you have your completed application along with required plans and documents ready to upload.
- Email your completed application and required plans and documents to the Permit Center
- eTRAKiT (residential electrical, elevator, and cross-connection permits only) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Other submission options include:
(Note: we do not accept paper plans lager that 11" x 17")
- Mail application to the Permit Center, 215 Church ave., SW, Room 170 Roanoke, VA, 24011
- Drop application in drop box at the Planning Office, Room 170 Municipal Building @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>