Permit Center Closure
Roanoke Permit Center to close temporarily during software transition
Dates affected: Monday, Oct. 17 through Thursday, Oct. 20, 2016. The Permit Center will reopen at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, Oct 21.
Installation of a new software system will make it necessary to close the City’s Permit Center for four days. The project involves importing over 15 years of historic data and active permit information into the new system. Once the import is complete, testing will be conducted to ensure that data remains complete and accurate, especially for active permits.
At the end of the day on October 14, the old permit system will be deactivated and new software will be installed over the weekend. The online permit center will not be available to schedule inspections or check the status of a permit.
Limited service may be possible on Thursday. If so, it will be announced that morning through MyRoanoke.
What to expect:
- Limited access to staff to get questions answered.
- Delays in issuing permits, especially on-demand permits that are usually issued the same day (e.g., electrical, plumbing, and mechanical permits).
- Longer wait times when the Permit Center is re-opened.
- Delayed review of building plans and site plans.
- Inspection services will continue, but delays are likely.
- Online access to permit information and inspection requests will not be available.
- Certificates of Occupancy will not be issued during the week unless arrangements are made with the Permit Center prior to 5 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 14.
Please plan ahead accordingly and, if possible, obtain permits prior to the transition.
The new permitting system will have numerous features that will improve efficiency and online access for citizens. The short-term inconvenience during the transition week will enable long-term improvements to the permitting process for many years to come.
The Permit Center will reopen on Friday, October 21.
The Permit Center staff’s highest priority is to minimize inconvenience and delays. While the Permit Center is closed, there will be a drop box for applications and plans outside the Permit Center office. As soon as the new system is operational, staff will begin to process those applications in the order they were received.