The Virginian Railway Passenger Station in Roanoke was built in 1909. This depot, the Virginian’s most significant brick station, is one of just a handful of Virginian buildings remaining. It served as Roanoke’s Virginian station until cessation of passenger service in January 1956.
Beginning in the early 1960s the building was leased to the Depot Feed
and Seed Inc. which operated a retail store on the site selling
fertilizer, feed and lawn and garden supplies. The station is listed on
the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic
Norfolk Southern Corporation
The property was donated by Norfolk Southern Corporation to the Roanoke
Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society (RCNRHS) in 2005.
Now the RCNRHS, in partnership with the Roanoke Valley Preservation
Foundation is preparing to restore this historic structure and return it
to a combination of public and private use. The passenger station
building will be leased to a commercial tenant (or tenants) to provide
an income stream to sustain future building operations and costs.
The smaller baggage and express building will be used as a museum in
which the public can learn about the role the Virginian Railway played
in the development of Roanoke and the state’s railroad industry. The
museum will also provide access to the archives of the RCNRHS and help
to promote Roanoke as a National Railway Heritage District and
destination for the research of railroad history.
will provide the public with a comfort station at the midway point of
the Mill Mountain Greenway. The station will also serve as a gateway to
the Riverside Center for Research and Technology.