Adams, Payne & Gleaves Lumber Company
This property was originally developed in 1906 as the Adams, Payne, and Gleaves Lumber Company. By the 1920s the company provided a wide range of building materials for the rapidly growing City. However, during the depression the building supply business downsized and many of the structures were leased to other enterprises.
Virginia Scrap Iron & Metal Company
In 1942, the Virginia Scrap Iron and Metal Company purchased the yard
and began a 66-year operating period at the site. A few of the larger
Virginia Scrap customers and sources of scrap metal included the
Virginian Railway Company (merged with the Norfolk & Western in
1959), Appalachian Power, General Electric, Westvaco and many other
regional industries (e.g., Xaloy, RAAP, etc.). Particular items of
interest that were routinely processed onsite include electric
transformers and capacitors, locomotive engines, automobile engines and
batteries, power system back-up batteries and steel drums and tanks. The
facility received and processed scrap metal primarily in the central
portion of the site.
River Metals Recycling
River Metals Recycling (River Metals) was contracted by Virginia Scrap
to process and remove the inventory of scrap material in 2005. River
Metals performed the processing and removal activities during two
separate periods of time, the first being November 2005 to May 2006 and
the second being May 2007 to August 2007. Virginia Scrap stopped
receiving scrap material from customers on May 11, 2007.